Thursday, July 29, 2010

Do I have to file my 2007 Taxes w my husband if we separated this year?

I would prefer not to file with him, but I want to make sure I do things right.Do I have to file my 2007 Taxes w my husband if we separated this year?
You don't have to file a joint return, and wouldn't even if you hadn't separated. You can file as married filing separately.





If you lived apart for ALL of the time since June 30, and you have a child of yours living with you, you might be able to file as head of household.Do I have to file my 2007 Taxes w my husband if we separated this year?
even when you were married, you can file separately. So you should be able to file separately.
You always have the choice of filing jointly or separately. Let him know what you are doing to avoid problems with you both taking the same deductions.
No, you do not have to file with your husband. You would file as married filing seperately. The main restriction is if you file and itemize your deductions, your husband must itemize also. If one files and uses the standard deduction, the other must file using the standard deduction.
In order to file married but seperate - you would have had to lived apart for 6 months or more. Thats what my accountant told me.

No comments:

Post a Comment