Thursday, July 29, 2010

How to support husband when grandmother dies?

my husbands grandmother is dying and I really don't know how to support him. I have only had 2 people I was close with die, and that was long ago as a child.


Besides basic support and being there to hold, what should I be doing to help him cope?How to support husband when grandmother dies?
Be there. Don't make him explain his feelings: he will when he's ready. be there for him but don't over do it. Remember that if you smother him, you may get your feelings hurt. Give him some space but know where he is. How to support husband when grandmother dies?
Oh my. This is a bad time. I'm so sorry. It's almost like a blessing %26amp; a curse at the same time to know when someone is dying ahead of time. Assisting someone with passing is very difficult %26amp; I'm assuming that's what is going on? When my husband's mom was dying I had to just learn by trial %26amp; error. The biggest thing to me would be to not EVER get upset with him during this process no matter what he says or does. Always ask him if he wants to talk. Don't assume that he does or doesn't. Just tell him you are there for anything at all he needs to say %26amp; then leave it to him. Men don't communicate like we do. If there's anything he needs to start preparing for like funeral arrangements or cremation you might want to offer taking over. There were so many people that needed to be called during that time. You could just offer to make a list of all family members that want to be contacted when she passes. I'm probably not making much sense but tell him that you would like to be involved. If you're not comfortable assisting her with dying (don't know if he's the only one helping her) then you could just tell him to give you anything at all that he doesn't want to deal with. I remember spending hours looking for songs that would be appropriate for the Wake so he didn't have to.





I'm really sorry. You'll be okay. Just support him anyway at all that you can.
Allow him to grieve. Grieving is hard because it really hurts - it's the worst pain you can go through.





The book ';The Courage to Grieve'; by Judy Nesbaum (I believe I got the last name correct, but I know the title is right) is very helpful. It describes what to expect and helps you work through grief.





I'm sorry for you both.
Whenever he stops you and starts expressing feelings about it, stop what you are doing and listen, otherwise, don't force him to talk about it and don't just start talking about it. Most guys I know express their feelings when they are comfortable.
I agree with the advice you have already gotten but I found an additional way to help. When my husband's mother died, he wanted sex. He is not good with words but this was a way for me to comfort him. I am saying that you should seduce him but be aware of any of his clues.
You just be there for him when he needs you to be...Do not bring grandma up, if he does just listen it the best thing anyone can do....Understand that everyone grieves differently, he may just want to be left alone, don't push him to talk about her.
Be there for him and most of all, just be yourself. He's your husband and ultimately, all he wants is you by his side. That is the best support you can give.
Just be a listener...and if he doesn't want to talk about it, don't try to force him to. Just be available...sounds like you are doing all you can do.
Dont talk, just listen. Ask him to tell you stories about her. Keep her memory alive.
remind him what a beautiful life she had.........other than that, shut your mouth and listen

















Grieving is the price humans pay for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment