Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Did you take your partner/husband along to your booking in appointment?

I didn't think it was necessary to invite my boyfriend along to this appointment. I thought he would get bored with all the form filling in! I also thought it was a good time to ask the midwife any questions in private.





However researching this on the internet many websites suggest taking your partner so they feel included as well as being able to answer any questions about their family history.





What are your thoughts/experiences on this?Did you take your partner/husband along to your booking in appointment?
I completely agree with you. Even I found my booking in appointment boring and a bit of a dissapointment. My boyfriend is coming along to my scan 2moz which we are both excited about, but like I said if your happy to go on your own and he's happy with it then you'll be fine. Save him taking time off work for the more exciting appointments!





As for family history, I was sent the green notes to fill in before hand. He didn't really have a clue so I phoned his mom who told me about a few things. Just check with him or his mom about any problems with his immediate family (parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles and 1st cousins). It won't be a problem him not being there as I still couldn't fill in some things even after asking him and his mom and the midwife said it didn't matter as you can always tell them when you find out!





Anyway....hope all goes well for you!Did you take your partner/husband along to your booking in appointment?
My husband only really came to the scans with me, the booking in appointment is'nt really important, all they do is fill in forms, and test your wee and take blood.


He came to one midwives appointment pretty late on and enjoyed listening to the baby.
Hi yes my partner came, its important to get all health questions on both sides of family, mine and his, and he also came along as its the only appointment he'll be able to attend due to going to Afghan.





I would say its important for him to go.
I agree with you. Form filling and you get to ask all your daft questions/ voice your fears in private.


He came for the scans because there was something to see!
I went.
I think you should have given him an option. When I make an appointment I tell my husband I have a doctor's appointment on this day at this time and he tells me ok I'm going to go or no it's ok. Either way he feels like he has a choice and feels like I'm including him in the preparing for our baby. For some people it might be different. But my husband really wants to be included in everything..
its better for him to go along to answer any medical history questions that your not sure about
my hubby didnt come 2 mine as i felt the same as u. but he did come 2 every single other appointment. whether it was midwife, hospital or doctors
My husband wanted to go but I don't think the very first appointment is a big deal.
I asked if he wanted to go but explained that it wouldn't be anything exciting. He didn't come to that one but did come to the scans and other appointments (with the heartbeats an stuff).





Just ask, if he doesn't want to go don't be offended but make sure u ask about his family history, if he can think of anything that should be mentioned.
I suggest taking him along w/you. My husband missed one appointment and he regrets it to this day. Remember just because they aren't carrying the baby doesn't mean they don't want to be involved. If he is your boyfriend don't be embarrassed to ask those questions, unless of course it is about abuse. Don't you want him to know how and why you are feeling and going thru. I am pretty sure at the stage you are at you will be able to hear the heart beat.
ask him if he would like to go. if not dont force the issue.
I have three kids, what the heck is a booking in appointment?
I did, and I'm glad that I did. It is a lot of form filling in but also a lot of discussion which you'd both benefit from. If you do feel like you want to speak to the midwife in private though, probably better he doesn't go. I suppose it depends on how close you are and what sort of relationship you have.
I took my baby's dad to all of my appointments including my booking appointment but my midwife actually took me in myself to weigh me and just to have a private chat before bring my partner in





good luck
I didn't even think about it, I wanted him to come with me and he was more than willing to go :) It was a beautiful and exciting experience to see our baby together on the ultrasound and there's a lot of information that if you don't remember, he will! LOL. Your doctor might ask you things you don't want him to know, but we are really close, no secrets, nothing...so I didn't care to bring him.


Your baby might even move on the ultrasound! ...at my second appointment I was 12.5 weeks and my baby was moving like crazy, but my boyfriend wasn't able to go to my second appointment. He would have loved to see our baby move! :)


Bring him to your appointment...it's nice to live the experience together and be able to answer all questions your doctor might have for both of you. If you don't feel comfortable with him being there because you have private things to ask or answer to your doctor, then don't bring him to this appointment, bring him to the next and warn your doctor that when he comes along any private questions it'd be better if they can call you or whatever...


Take care and good luck!
i didnt take my partner as he was in prison, stupid git now he has nothing to do with me im 32 weeks pregnant, i took my mum,
They will want to take his family history too so its a good idea to take him for this first one. Also if he is willing to go with you its a good idea to keephim interested and involved! Later midwife visits woul dbe more boring and quick and will be a better opportunity for you to go alone.


They will probably be able to pick up the baby's heartbeat too so you can llo forward to that!
I don't feel the need to take my boyfriend to every appointment with me, and it would mean he would have to arrange to take time off work to accomodate me. He's been present at both my scans, and he asks after every appointment, but I don't feel like he needs to do any more.
It is totally up to you and your relationship. Ask him! : )
I see where you are coming from, as I kinda felt the same way. Also, with my first pregnancy, I had questions that I wanted to ask in private...things that would totally gross him out. Anyhow, I would just ask him...tell him that you don't think it is necessary, but that he is more than welcome if he wants to come, and no hard feelings either way. Some men are more sensitive than others, and would get their feelings hurt if they thought you didn't want them to go.
Well my boyfriend took me along to the appointment as he happened to have the time off, but he wasn't in with me when I was going through all the paperwork with the midwife. I think it was fairly boring for him really! As the booking in is just going through some medical history %26amp; filling in a lot of forms its not really necessary for him to be there, the same goes for the antenatal check up's unless he really wants to come. I get bored enough sitting around waiting for my turn as the clinic always seems to run late!





Scans are the best for your partner to go along to, they are the most interesting part of antenatal care!

No comments:

Post a Comment