Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What do you think my options are?My husband and I recently signed a lease for a house.?

Not the greatest - older, needed a little cleaning, kind of ugly - but in great location n kids wont need to change schools. When I went to sign the lease yesterday, I noticed a few things that needed to be fixed. There were a few broken windows that the landlord said he had already ordered replacements for and some of the old tenants stuff was still there. I also noticed a dead roach behind the wallpaper in the kitchen. I told him of my EXTREME bug phobia and that I will NOT live with bugs. He assured me that the place was exterminated and was clean and bug free. Well, today when we went to move our stuff, there were roaches (dead and alive) everywhere, and roach droppings (which I previously thought was just dirt, as I had never had roaches before). He told me that he was gonna clean the place today, but I don't see how he can do it proplerly in 1 day and without running water or electric. I just want it done properly or my deposit money back. What do you think?What do you think my options are?My husband and I recently signed a lease for a house.?
If the house isn't properly ready when you go to move in ... do NOT take possession of the property. Take a whole bunch of photos for proof of the unacceptable conditions in the house and tell him you want your deposit back. If he refuses, sue and bring your proofs to court.





Never, ever move into a place with an infestation. For every bug you see, there are hundreds behind the walls.What do you think my options are?My husband and I recently signed a lease for a house.?
There should be a local housing authority of some sort in your area - call them and see what they say. These things might not be enough to break your lease, but they'd know, and know how long the landlord has to fix things.





Good luck.
You need to get OUTTA THERE if you don't want to deal with those roaches again. They will never leave the house unless your landlord gets an exterminator to tent the house, and that costs thousands of dollars, so he probably won't do that. If you're seeing baby roaches, that means that they are newly hatching, and whatever treatment your landlord said he got done isn't working.





We just attained a townhome, and before we moved in anything, there were 20-25 roaches!!! After staying in there for 9 days we couldn't take it anymore, and we just got out of our lease YESTERDAY. I have extreme bug phobia myself, and could barely sleep and we never ate inside the townhome.





Take pictures of the roaches, either before or after you kill them. If you vacuum them up, save the bag so that if you need to call the health dept. later you can show it to them. Write a formal letter to your landlord stating all the problems you are dealing with, and give him a 30 day notice to repair your problems. If he doesn't seem to budge, call the health dept. in your state. If you have the pictoral evidence, show them your pictures, and show them where the roaches are possibly coming from (i.e. cracks %26amp; crevices). Also offer to show them the roaches you've vacuumed up. If they find your condition unhabitable, then they should be able to help you get out of your lease WITH your deposit back.





Good luck!
it sounds like he has broken his contract with you, you told him you would not live with bugs and he agreed that the place would be bug free. Verbal contracts should be binding, depends on where you live. so stand up for yourself and find out your rights straight away
tell the landlord to have an exterminator out to spray, if he refuses, ask for your money back. if he refuses take a trip to city hall and find out some info regarding rentals in your city. as a tenent you have rights and the landlord has to follow the laws enforced by the city.if hes willing to spray again make sure to be there to see if is done correctly, then tell the landlord you want the cleaning off your rent. if the house is gross work out a deal.
absoloutly agree with you i am a bug a phob too. Clean it yourself and take money off the rent and then inform the land lord that this is what you are doing and have him sign the paper and you keep a copy for yourself. If he does not want to do that then tell him you want your deposit money back and you will find another place to live. good luck and god bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment