Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Do midwives allow the husband to be a more active participant in delivery?

I have gone traditional thus far. But I think that in a way a husband is ';robbed'; of the birthing experience. Although he has not said anything about it, with our first child, he was right there at my head 95% of the time. I was thinking if we done it at home, then he could play a more active role in helping to bring his daughter into the world. I think that the bond would be stronger if he could catch her coming out. I have not talked to him yet. I am just trying to look at all angles before I do.Do midwives allow the husband to be a more active participant in delivery?
Did he ask to be involved?





It is difficult for doctors and midwives to give patients what they want when they don't ask.





To be honest the majority are a bit squeamish and prefer to stay near their wives heads and comfort and support them up there. I sometimes ask if the father wouild like to deliver or cut the cord but it depends what is happening in the room and how smoothly things are going.





It's important to make sure your wishes are made known in a birthing plan BEFORE your birth - don't wait until you get in there, and don't assume because you give birth in a hospital or a birthing centre that your husband or labor support partner cannot assist in the birth in any way. I delivered a baby 3 days ago in our local referral hospital and her father ';caught'; her and cut her cord. No problem.





HE ASKED.Do midwives allow the husband to be a more active participant in delivery?
I'm still pretty early in my pregnancy, but my midwife's assistant made sure to ask if my husband wanted to join me in the exam room during our last appointment. The midwife asked if he wanted to cut the cord. So far they seem VERY willing to make sure the husband is as much of a part of the process as possible.





As for actually catching the baby, that's definitely something to ask the midwife. I'm still having my baby at a hospital, but I think if you're having your baby at home that she might be more flexible. Ya never know 'til you ask! :)
talk to a local midwife!!
Tell the midwives what you want to happen. We were asked before the birth of my first son if there was anything we wished to happen during and after the delivery, we told them, hubby wanted to cut the cord and see the head etc. We had a wonderful midwife who involved my husband a lot. We had more of a problem with other fathers telling my husband to stay up near my head, he didn't listen... when i was 9cm dilated we were asked if we wanted to see the head, i didn't at first but when my husband asked to see i felt i should in case i regretted it, when i was pushing one midwife had one leg, one midwife was ready to catch and my hubby was in prime position with my other leg up the air yelling out exicitedly that he could see the head!I have 'heard' some midwives prefer not to let the men look for fear of putting them off sex, this could be an old wives tale for all i know... tell them what you expect and what you want, it is your birth and you are allowed input into how you want it run, if they say no to a request they will give you a valid reason why.
Well....umm...lol. I am fine at the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment