Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My husband is deploying can I break my lease?

I rented an apartment before my husband and I got married. He is now deploying and I wanted to get out of the lease. The only problem is the landlord never added my husband onto the lease therefore it's only my maiden name on there. He has lived there the entire duration I've lived there and now we're legally married. Can I break the lease with the excuse that my legal husband is deploying?My husband is deploying can I break my lease?
I have, but check with the laws in your state.


Our landlord was cool, we lived in a military town.


Good Luck!My husband is deploying can I break my lease?
I think it may be very hard to get out of your lease because your husbands name wasn't on the lease when you first moved in. Usually the apartment manager asks who is living in the apartment with you and for their names to be on the list especially if they help pay for your rent. Then if something happened you could say you couldn't pay for the apartment anymore due to job changes. I would read your contract and talk to a lawyer to see what you can do. My husband got his commander to write a note that his job required a transfer and since your married it may work. I would definitely get it in writing and talk to a lawyer and your landlord.
First, is he deploying or being stationed somewhere else and you are going with?





If you are going with him, and are his wife, then his orders are your orders. There is a clause in most leases and even if there isn't, it can still be applied, regarding ';The soldiers/sailors act';. It states that if you are military and have orders to leave, you can break a contract/lease without penalties. Now that you are married, as long as you show him your husband's orders and your marriage license, he has to let you out of your lease. But...that is only if you are going with him I believe.





PS-You really should have updated your marital status with your landlord after you got married and informed him of the situation then.
You should be able to. There is enough documentation saying that he is your husband and he does have orders that can be produced to show that he is being deployed. Any self respecting landlord should not give you a problem with it.





Was the land lord supposed to add your husband to the lease and never did it? or did you just not get to it? If he was supposed to and never got around to it, you shouldn't have a problem and he has documentation that you asked to have him put on it if anything legal ever comes out of this.
no, you are still responsible for that lease. Talk to your landlord and see what your options are. It may be that you will have to pay a fine or something in order to get out of the lease. You must remember that a lease is a contract between you and the landlord, and it is legally binding.
that would be hard due to he is not on current lease best option is to try to get him on before he leaves if possible or if he has paid from his account like with a check or cashier account especially if it were his only you might have a leg to stand on but with him not on the lease might be hard. we are in some patriotic times right know if you have not left on a bad note maybe explaining this to the landlord they might be sympathetic
You need to look at the wording in your lease. My guess is no, they will tell you it was your responsibility to advise them of the changes in your household. However, go talk to them, under the circumstances they may actually be reasonable. You may want to consider sub-letting.


Good Luck


Red
I guess it all depends on the niceness of your landlord. Tell him/her your situation. I had the same exact situation with my wife


(USMC) twice at two different apartment complexes And both said it was ok for me to break the lease but I will not receive my deposit.
Hmmmm....maybe.





You should really go and talk to your landlord. If his name was on the lease then it would be no problem. You may have to show documentation of your marriage. Were you not married when you moved in?





I hope you are able to break the lease!
Well, its a legal document for a reason. It's not the landlords mistake or change of life, it was yours. Have you discussed it with the landlord, sometimes they are reasonable.
Just talk to you landlord and explain your situation. They may be able to arrange a payment schedule that's significanly lower until the balance is paid off.
Put him on the lease before he leaves. Give them a copy of his orders. That should be sufficient enough.
talk to your landlord he might be very understanding of your situation
My wife just didn't pay the rent at all. Just say you don't have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment